As summer approaches, it’s a great time to transition your makeup routine for warmer weather. Here’s what we mean, then we’ll dig into details and give you some shade inspiration!
- Clean out your bag and vehicle – check for any meltable products and decide if you want to remove them! Our lipstick samples make great travel pods to use with a covered lip brush during the summer to protect your full size tubes from accidentally leaving in the heat!
- Lighten up your face products. Let’s not clog pores and have cracking foundation, amiright?
- Choose lighter and brighter eye makeup shades
- Play with fun lipstick colors
- Go for glosses when out and about because they don’t melt and travel well!
Let’s dive into the details and recommendations…
How to Transition Face Products
- Less and Lighter is key. Start with your skincare. Switch to a lighter (yet still moisturizing and hydrating) daytime moisturizer.
- If you’re using a sunscreen, consider using a moisturizer with SPF in it, that way you are applying fewer layers of product.
- Multi-purpose products for the win. A tinted moisturizer accomplishes a light layer of both hydration and light coverage and can be just the answer for anyone wanting to wear face makeup in the summer.
- Use concealer in place of a full face of full coverage foundation. If you need a little extra coverage, add a bit of concealer on the areas that need it.
- Oily skin, you could use a light powder foundation instead of a tinted moisturizer. Just make sure you do not apply too much powder, remember less is more.
- If you can – skip face makeup altogether. Focus on moisturizing and detoxing.
We strongly encourage you to skip foundation, powder, base all together during the summer. We like to call it a “Face-cation” – and the summertime is the BEST time to do it. Face makeup can clog pores – and when it’s hot outside and your skin is wanting to sweat, that’s the BEST time to allow it to do so – let the sweat do its job and clear out those pores and get rid of the toxins in your body.
Not to mention when you wear the same level of face makeup that you wear the rest of the year, it can crack and run – which looks worse than if you went without.
Your face deserves a break – please don’t worry about some bumps, acne, or scars for just a couple months a year. You are beautiful just as you are with all those perfect imperfections – and the chances of those “imperfections” correcting themself with a makeup break are PRETTY high!
Blush and bronzer are great products to use for summertime makeup to add some color to the complexion. As we said skip foundation altogether at times during summer and just lightly bronze your face and add a bit of blush for a pop of color.
Red Apple Lipstick’s Sundrop Bronzer is the perfect shade of bronzer, it’s a warm matte neutral shade of brown that works perfectly to warm up the skin as well as to help define facial features. It is also quite buildable so it works on all skin tones.
HERE’S HOW: First, bronze the areas where the sun naturally hits the face (cheeks, forehead, bridge of the nose, and chin area) using the Vegan Blush Brush. Then sometimes I also like to add a bit more, to lightly contour/define, on the hollows of the cheeks as well as on the temples and the jawline.
Blush is a great way to brighten the look of your complexion and summer is a good time to use lively, brighter shades. RAL has some beautiful blush shades that work great for this time of year. Pinks, peaches, and corals shades are great color options. Customer favorite shade, Gotta Glow, is a slightly shimmery peachy pink that gives a dewy and fresh look to any skin tone. Good Vibes blush is a great option for those with darker golden skin tones, it’s a fresh matte tangerine shade that will make the cheeks pop.
Sundrop Bronzer by Red Apple Lipstick is a warm matte bronzer that is perfect for all skin tones. It’s buildable and believable and should be in everyone’s makeup bag.
Gotta Glow Blush by Red Apple Lipstick- a slightly shimmery peachy pink blush
Good Vibes Blush by Red Apple Lipstick – a matte fresh tangerine blush
Vegan Blush Brush by Red Apple Lipstick. This brush has the absolute perfect quantity of bristles at just the right angle for bronzer or blush application. It’s firm but fluffy and picks up powder for a perfect delivery.
How to Transition Summertime Eye Makeup
When it comes to summertime makeup for eyes you can keep it either pretty simple and minimal, or you can still do your eye makeup as you normally do just switch to lighter eyeshadow colors.
For a natural and simple look, use just eyeliner and mascara (and pair that with a fun, bold lipstick shade). You could use either Black or Cocoa Eye Liner Pencil (using the Angled Eye Brush to help apply) with a couple of coats of The Lash Project Mascara.
If you have very oily lids, you can apply a bit of eye primer and then set that with a base eyeshadow shade before applying your eyeliner. Heirloom, Hush Hush, and Porcelain are some great base eyeshadow options.
Now, if you want more of a full eye makeup look, opt for going lighter on your color selection. Think of lighter neutral shades for more natural looks like browns and beiges. Bronzy eyeshadows are also perfect for those bronzed summer looks.
For fun and brighter looks, try teals and greens as well as pinks and coral/peachy shades of eyeshadows. If you like to wear smokey looks for evening makeup, go for a plum/mauve or brown smokey eye using eyeshadows that are not too dark.
Red Apple Lipstick has a great selection of eyeshadows to pick from, the mattes are great ones to start with if you are looking for some neutral eyeshadows. As for eyebrows, again simple is best. Go as naturally as possible. I love brow gels to just groom and keep the brows in place. However, if you do need to fill in your brows keep it as natural as possible. For more on how to fill in brows, check out Andrea’s tips here.
Black Eyeliner pencil by Red Apple Lipstick
Cocoa Eyeliner Pencil by Red Apple Lipstick
Angled Eyeliner Brush with Spoolie end by Red Apple Lipstick
The Lash Project Mascara by Red Apple Lipstick
Prime Time Eyeshadow Primer by Red Apple Lipstick
Heirloom Eyeshadow by Red Apple Lipstick
Hush Hush Eyeshadow by Red Apple Lipstick
Porcelain Eyeshadow by Red Apple Lipstick
Displayed are 9 new Matte Eyeshadows by Red Apple Lipstick
How to Transition Lip Products
Summer is a good time to wear lighter and natural lip colors, but it is also a great time to rock those brighter and bold shades of color. You can keep it more natural by choosing to wear a gloss instead, this will give the lips a touch of color and shine without putting on a full-coverage color. Glosses also have the added benefit of not melting in a warm pocket or accidentally left in the car. Some great lip gloss choices for summertime makeup are:
· Brazen Raisin- beautiful bronzed shade with micro-shimmer that goes on semi-sheer.
Brazen Raisin by Red Apple Lipstick
· Diamond Sands– sheer nude/gold with a subtle peach undertone.
Diamond Sands by Red Apple Lipstick
· Honey Badger– a medium pigmented nude with pink and brown undertones.
Honey Badger by Red Apple Lipstick
· Love Letter– soft light pink with the slightest bit of shimmer.
Love Letter by Red Apple Lipstick
· Magic Momint– a neutral bronze color, goes on semi-sheer with just a hint of color.
Magic Momint by Red Apple Lipstick
· S.W.A.K.– a medium pink gloss with no shimmer.
S.W.A.K. ( aka-Sealed with a kiss) by Red Apple Lipstick
· Sun Sparkles– the perfect clear gloss with a touch of shimmer.
Sun Sparkles by Red Apple Lipstick
· Tangomint– warm shade of orange-red with golden micro-shimmer.
Tangomint by Red Apple Lipstick
· Tiny Dancer– warm peachy-pink nude.
Tiny Dancer by Red Apple Lipstick
Check out all of RAL lip glosses by clicking here.
Lipsticks are great for when you want full coverage color on the lips or when you want a bolder lip. Switch to brighter color shades for summertime makeup since these are perfect for this time of year as well as those tan and bronzy brown and nude shades.
One of my favorite easy way to wear a brighter lipstick is by keeping the rest of my makeup simple- applying a bit of bronzer, blush, mascara on the eyes, and finish the look with lipstick. This keeps the focus on the lips while the rest of the makeup just complements it. These are a few of our favorite RAL lipstick shades for summertime, all of which you can also apply as a stain for lighter wear:
· Brazilliant– a beautiful light shimmery pink with slight tangerine undertones, it is almost a light coral shade.
Noemi is wearing Brazilliant by Red Apple Lipstick
· Hibiscus– a deep, berry pink with a hint of red to it, a true raspberry color. Wear it bold or simply as a stain. Looks great on any skin tone.
Noemi is wearing Hibiscus by Red Apple Lipstick
· Let’s Flamingle– tropical hot pink with a coral cast. While this is a hot pink color, it’s a softer shade which makes it not overly bright.
Tanya is wearing Let’s Flamingle by Red Apple Lipstick
· Naughty– a perfect tan nude shade with no shimmer.
Raf is wearing Naughty by Red Apple Lipstick
· Red Apple Red– a classic signature red, light and bright with a slight pink undertone.
Andrea is wearing Red Apple Red by Red Apple Lipstick
· Risque!– warm-toned red with orange undertones.
Noemi is wearing Risque by Red Apple Lipstick
Sweet Pea – a warm toned terracotta with hints of salmon
Ashley is wearing Sweet Pea by Red Apple Lipstick
Make sure to check out all of RAL’s lipstick selection by clicking here. Whatever you prefer when it comes to your lips, remember to make sure to moisturize them as well. Always prep your lips by applying a bit of lip balm. The Rallye Balm will help keep your lips healthy and soft while also prepping your lips for your makeup looks.
Rallye Balm lip balm by Red Apple Lipstick
In summary, keep your summertime makeup routine simple. Keep your products to a minimum where possible, and think less and light when it comes to your base products. Do not be afraid, though, to play with colors when it comes to lip and eye makeup.
Switch over to lighter shades of eyeshadows and brighter, bolder lipsticks if you want to incorporate color into your makeup looks. Feel free to check out the Makeup and Makeup Tutorials section for some great makeup look ideas. The No Makeup-Makeup Look would be perfect to do for summer.
We hope these tips and suggestions come in handy as you prepare to transition your makeup routine for the warm months ahead. What are some of your favorite Red Apple Lipstick products for summer? Share with us in the comments below.
Noemi is wearing no foundation- just Sundrop Bronzer, Gotta Glow blush, The Lash Project mascara, and Risqué! lipstick.
Noemi created a Springtime smokey eye look that would also look great in summer. She used Prime Time Eye Shadow Primer, Porcelain eyeshadow, Made You Wink, Plums Up, Heirloom, Hello Darkness, and Buttercream. Light powder foundation along with Sundrop Bronzer and M’Lady blush on the face. Maven Mauve lipstick topped with Honey Badger lipgloss on the lips.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How do you make your makeup last all day in hot weather?
Keep your makeup light, less is more when it comes to summertime makeup. Stick to lighter base products and consider a face primer if you have very oily skin to help keep your makeup in place throughout the day.
2. What makeup should I wear in summer?
Simple makeup is best for summer, especially during the day. Our best tip is to keep your products to a minimum and only use what you need. We suggest a light base, a bit of bronzer and blush, some mascara, and either lip gloss or lipstick for a quick and easy, simple everyday look.
3. What foundation is best for hot weather?
This will mainly depend on your personal needs but avoid heavy products. Choose lighter options such as a powder foundation if you have oily skin or lighter weight cream/liquid foundation if you have dry skin.
4. What can I use instead of foundation in the summer?
If you do not need to wear foundation skip it altogether and just use concealer to spot-correct any problematic areas. If you do need some more coverage, try using a tinted sunscreen, tinted moisturizer, or BB Cream. These lighter weight products will keep your skin looking natural, yet give you enough coverage, without being too heavy and more comfortable to wear in the summer’s heat.